Mandaue -- The City
The CITY OF MANDAUE is one of the cities in Region 7 or the Central Visayas.
Located right at the heart of the province of Cebu, the CITY OF MANDAUE is one of the two highly urbanized cities in the region, the other one being the City of Cebu. It is the industrial hub in the region and hosts about 10,000 industrial and commercial locators, making it the “little rich city” in the country.
The city is strategically located and is ten minutes away from any of the major growth points within the inner core of the Metro Cebu Area. It links up mainland Cebu to Mactan Island through the 1st Mandaue-Mactan Bridge and the 2nd Mandaue-Mactan Bridge (Marcelo Fernan Bridge). From the Mactan Cebu International Airport, it is the door to the rest of the cities and municipalities of Cebu and the rest of the Visayas and Mindanao regions.
Founded in April 7, 1521, the CITY OF MANDAUE is now 484 years old. It became a Chartered City, though on June 21, 1969. It became a highly-urbanized city only in 1991.
Mandaue City Map
Mandaue 2020: Home of High Value Manufacturing Serving the Global Market.
Create an environment for sustainable growth and liveable society through responsive governance and multi-sectoral involvement.
Excellence, Transparency, Resourcefulness, Accountability, Integrity and Teamwork
The City of Mandaue was founded in April 7, 1521, when a “Cove of Cebu”, called Mandawe, was sighted by a Spanish expedition led by Ferdinand Magellan. The “Cove of Cebu”, which is located in the present Barangay Tipolo, became the host to the first facility in the country. Its establishment marked the origins of the industrialization of the country as it helped in the promotion and sustainability of the Acapulco Trade which took place at that time.
In 1571, Legaspi established the country’s first drydock complex on the shoreline of Tipolo, Mandaue, in order to hasten the colonization of the area. The drydock facilities, which were a few meters away from the existing location of the San Miguel Brewery Complex, reportedly serviced the Galleons of Legaspi.
Historically, Mandaue got its name from a thick, clinging vines known as “mantawi”, which were abundant in the early times, long before the coming of the Spanish conquestadores. During these times, Mandaue, with its eastern and southern boundaries facing the Mactan Strait, was already referred to as the “merchants’ paradise”. The major economic points within the area were already interlinked with several crude transportation network.
The “Cove of Cebu” was formally constituted into a “pueblo” between 1580 to 1700 and was officially known as the town of Mandaue in the year 1899.
From that “Cove of Cebu” emerged the now industrial city of Mandaue. Mandaue became a chartered city on June 21, 1969 through Republic Act 5519. It was considered a highly-urbanized city in the year 1991.
Mandaue City is located on the coastal plains of the Province of Cebu, approximately at 10 9” 40.34” latitude and 123 5’ 28.16” longitude with an average elevation of 55 feet (16.8 meters) above sea level. The city is bounded on the north by the municipality of Consolacion, on the east by the Mactan Channel, on the southwest by Banilad (Cebu City), on the northwest by Talamban (Cebu City) and on the south by the Cebu City North Reclamation.
Part and parcel of Metropolitan Cebu, Mandaue City is located right at the center of Cebu Province and of Region 7. Formed like a heart, the city is located at the heart of the province of Cebu. It is strategically located as it straddles through two major transport links, the 1st (old) Mandaue-Mactan Bridge and the 2nd (Marcelo FernanMandaue-Mactan Bridge, and the Cebu International Port.